Monday, July 25, 2016

What is a Triptych?

A triptych (TRIP-tik; from the Greek adjective τρίπτυχον "triptukhon" ["three-fold"]) is a work of art (usually a panel painting) that is divided into three sections, or three carved panels hinged together that can be folded shut or displayed open.

Melinda's 27 Triptych oil paintings will be on display September 19 - October 16, 2016 at the John A Daly Exhibition Hall at the University of South Dakota.







Art dealer and gallery owner Walter Wikiser on Melinda's Triptych Series:

I first became aware of Melinda’s work in 2003 when I saw The Triptych Series at the Asia Society and Museum. I was amazed by her imagery and skill as a painter. I had never seen anything like her work in all my years as an art dealer. Her use of line and form is completely original, and although her work is figurative, it is also groundbreaking in its exploration of abstraction. Her work could be defined as “figurative abstraction,” because she pioneers new territory in both the abstract and figurative domains...The paintings I saw there stayed within me and seemed to find a permanent home in my memory. I realized that I couldn’t forget her paintings and I couldn’t define them. But I did realize these were completely new images representing a new dimension in painting.

MelindaCamberPorter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment